Prince Harry and King Charles Will Reportedly Meet In a Matter of Days, Though Prince William Likely Won’t Attend

When it comes to the King and the Duke of Sussex, there is “determination on both sides to make this happen.”

The Gist

  • In one of the most hopeful updates yet in the ongoing royal family feud, Prince Harry is set to meet with his father, King Charles, when he visits the U.K. on September 8, multiple outlets report.
  • Harry’s brother Prince William is not likely to be there, as “this is about beginning with Charles and Harry.”
  • It has been 19 months since Charles and Harry met just days after the King announced his cancer diagnosis in February 2024.

In one of the most hopeful updates in a long time regarding Prince Harry’s strained relationships with members of the royal family, it seems that when the Duke of Sussex travels to the U.K. in September, he will likely have the opportunity to meet up with his father King Charles for the first time in 19 months.

The last time that the King and Harry met in person was in February 2024, just after Charles announced his cancer diagnosis. Harry is due to be in the U.K. on an especially poignant day—September 8, the third anniversary of the death of his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth, at 96 years old. Harry is expected to attend the WellChild Awards that day, an organization he has been patron of for 17 years.

According to The Daily Mail, reconciliation between father and son is “within reach,” and a source told The Mirror that there is now “determination on both sides to make this happen.”

“Nobody is pretending the wider family issues have been resolved, but this is about beginning with Charles and Harry,” the insider said.

“Prince Harry’s team and the Palace have opened a line of communication, and there is every hope that father and son will see one another when the Duke returns to London in September,” the source continued, adding that there was a “feeling the time is right” as the King continues his cancer treatment, the type and stage of which has never been publicly disclosed.

The encounter is expected to be a “simple face-to-face conversation between a father and a son” rather than any type of “grand gesture or set-piece meeting.” Other priorities highlighted include “privacy and dignity,” according to The Daily Mail.

As for Harry’s brother, Prince William, the outlet reported that any meetup this time around has been “rejected out of hand.” Meghan Markle is not expected to accompany her husband to the U.K., and will instead remain in California with their kids Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet.

Back in May, Harry said in an interview with the BBC that he “would love a reconciliation” as he didn’t know “how much longer my father has.” Two months later, aides for both men met at a private members-only club in London, which is likely when the plans for the September meetup germinated.

“It was not known whether it had been Charles or Harry who extended the olive branch, but insiders said the summit was the strongest sign yet of the determination on both sides to resolve the bitter House of Windsor feud,” The Daily Mail reported.